DTN, a leading provider of information services, today announced that based on comparisons from a recent report, it had the lowest forecast error for both one-day-out and two-day-out high temperature forecasts.
The study, recently released by ForecastWatch, a leading analyst of predictions and outcomes in the weather industry, based on the weather conditions forecast 24 hours a day over 12 months, named DTN the top forecasting provider in both major performance measures in Australia. The study ranked both MeteoGroup and the Australian Bureau of Meteorology well behind DTN, with MeteoGroup earning an RMSE (error rate) nearly 50 percent higher than DTN’s.
A critical service for the energy industry
Forecasting accuracy is vital to the health and efficiency of many weather-sensitive industries, possibly none more so than the energy utility sector. In an industry where climate change and renewable energy are already having tremendous impacts, accurate weather forecasts ensure 24/7 operational efficiency.
- Weather forecasts are the main driver of electric and gas utilities’ load forecasting, which is used for generation and purchasing decisions
- More solar and wind generation on the grid means weather impacts not just load on the grid, but also generation capacity
- Accurate forecasting allows electric utilities to better predict and plan for outages, saving time and resources when restoring power
“Our continued excellence in forecasting is due in large part to the efforts of our more than 60 degreed meteorologists along with our corporate commitment to innovation and best-in-class accuracy,” said Jon Reifschneider, general manager for DTN’s Weather division. “This translates directly into better operational decisions for our customers, ensuring greater safety, lower costs and increased revenue for their organizations.”
DTN aims to continually innovate and advance its top-rated forecasts. Current advancements are improving both short- and long-term forecasts, up to 15 days in advance. These improvements ensure that customers receive the most accurate forecasts in the industry to make critical business decisions. DTN’s highly accurate forecasts protect and improve lives every day by creating:
- Uninterrupted power – energy professionals depend on our temperature forecasts to make critical load forecasting decisions that help meet demand and lower energy costs.
- Timely air travel – airports count on our forecasts to keep runways clear and safe, planes deiced, and to predict and mange weather-related delays.
- Safer communities – public safety officials rely on our forecasts to protect citizens during extreme heat or cold, flooding, snowstorms, and more.
- Safer roadways – departments of transportation trust our detailed precipitation and temperature forecasts to manage snow and ice, and to time chemical applications.
- Quality food and water – agricultural producers look to our forecasts to make key growing and operational decisions; water utilities use them to ensure safe water supplies.
# # #
DTN is the global leading digital provider of information services, supply chain connectivity solutions and decision-support tools to more than 80,000 subscribers in agriculture, oil and gas, trading and weather-sensitive industries worldwide. DTN, based in Omaha, Nebraska and Minneapolis is owned by TBG, a private century-old investment holding company headquartered in Zurich.
ForecastWatch is the world’s premier weather forecast monitoring and assessment company. A full service technology consulting firm, it compiles weather forecasts and observations for more than 1,200 locations around the world, including the United States, Canada, Europe, South America, Central America, Africa and Asia. ForecastWatch also maintains a historical database of more than 400 million weather forecasts from a number of providers.