Farmers are always looking for innovations and information to help them boost production and maximize returns on their products. The rise of digital technology has offered access to a wide range of opportunities for more informed and accurate actions in the field. As a result, big data analytics are proving to be a real game-changer in the industry.
With the increased availability of data, farmers have more tools than ever at their disposal, offering numerous benefits. Knowledge is not only powerful, but it can make or break an agricultural producer’s success.
DTN experts work to provide the data, insights, and analysis that give you need to thrive. Agribusiness relies on many external factors that are out of your control. But even though you can’t control them, you can have the necessary information to make smart decisions. Reach out today for a demo of how the DTN products can serve you.
What Is Big Data Analytics?
In short, ‘big data analytics’ refers to the process of exploring and analyzing large amounts of data to uncover critical patterns. This information can reveal market trends and changes in customer preferences. It can also reveal hidden patterns and correlations which analysts may have overlooked.
Big data technologies aim to corral and utilize vast quantities of information that traditional systems can’t analyze. It is a term that experts have been using since the 1990s when the amount of data in the world began proliferating with no end in sight.
With this information in hand, businesses can make educated and informed decisions that offer enormous benefits for their long-term success. Advanced analytics work hand-in-hand with new technology. This connection provides the ability to analyze the data sets and actively use the information obtained.
What Data Is Relevant to Farmers?
Anyone in agribusiness relies on actionable insights related to the following:
- Weather Trends and Forecasts
- Pest Life Cycles
- Pest Field Counts
- Historical and Current Market Behavior
Current news reports and weather forecasts play a significant role in decision-making. But long-term historical trends are equally valuable. And that type of information is where big data analytics become critical.
Agricultural Analytics from Big Data
On the surface, farming and ranching may seem like unlikely candidates for using big data. They are ancient ways of living that have relied on generational know-how for centuries. But the industry has grown and evolved rapidly in recent decades. And profitable farmers know that they should make the most of the latest tech and tools. These solutions can be invaluable in staying competitive.
Software tools that use big data analytics can help foster the following:
- Increased Productivity – The right data can help you boost planning and productivity. With the worldwide food demand set to nearly double by 2050, farmers and ranchers face an urgent need to protect and increase their production. Technology that uses big data helps agricultural producers make educated decisions that help them meet this demand.
- Effective Soil and Pest Management – Big data analytics can also help farmers to plan for their fields. Soil sensors and pest monitoring offer great insight into the field conditions and crop quality. You will have tools that help you make decisions about the best things to grow and when. And you can plan strategically for pest control, as well.
- Efficient Use of Equipment – Equipment and machinery account for some of the highest expenses for farmers, and so they must work effectively and with precision to be worth the investment. Big data helped lead to the arrival of GPS-equipped tractors and other machines.
These game-changers allow farmers to see where their equipment is at any given time. Users also can program machinery and irrigation systems to work in precise locations in response to the data insights. For example, pinpointed weather information helps you to know which fields need water and which don’t.
- Accurate Response to Weather Conditions – Weather events and conditions make up one of the most significant pieces of agriculture. In the past, farmers often relied on anecdotal and experiential knowledge of weather patterns. But climate change has taken away much of that reliance. The weather no longer follows predictable trends.
In addition, local weather forecasts frequently address city hubs, not rural farming areas. Big data analytics allow for precision, hyper-local agricultural practices. Software solutions offer clear insights that are specific to your operations and fields. With this advanced knowledge, you can manage your resources such as water, seeds, personnel, and pesticides.
- Streamlined Costs – Farming and ranching typically have slim profit margins because they are expensive operations to maintain. But having accurate and precise data allows farmers to make financially sound decisions. They can mostly eliminate surprises and avoid overspending on products, equipment, and personnel.
Some research suggests that advances in farming technology could create more than $2 trillion in savings and business opportunities. Taking advantage of software solutions that use big data analytics will let you have a piece of those trillions. With the savings you realize, you can become more profitable and build a financial cushion that sustains you long-term.
- Optimized Supply Chain Management – With the global demand for food about to skyrocket, distribution logistics will become even more crucial. Technologies based on big data analytics are streamlining the supply chain.
The benefits in this area do not only favor farmers. Retailers, stakeholders, and distributors will have a treasure trove of actionable information at their fingertips. They can tailor their services based on the most current information to ensure they can work with maximum efficiency and profitability.
How Do You Access Big Data Analytics?
At DTN, we are proud to provide you with the latest in agricultural technology. We help farmers and ranchers achieve optimum results through our state-of-the-art software solutions.
Our technology allows you to receive analysis and insights that are crucial to you and your operations. We take the big data, turn it into actionable reports, and deliver it to you via your mobile or desktop device.
Reach out to a DTN team member today to see how our suite of products can boost your business in the ever-changing agricultural sector.